Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

1 Corinthians 16: 13-14

13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

Friday, July 27, 2007

St. Maarten Day 5 - Sea Turtles!

It is unfathomable thinking that today is already Friday and day 5 of our vacation in St. Maarten. Mike and I are having a wonderful time enjoying Phillipsburg, Margot and Simpson Bay where our hotel is located.

On Wed., after my dives, we went to Phillipsburg for some shopping. We enjoyed Phillipsburg. It is an easy place to shop with all the shops being located on "Front Street" and "Back Street." We only made it down Front Street before we had to head back to the resort for a Sunset Catamaran Dinner. The sunset was not spectacular but the evening was still enjoyable although I did imbibe just a couple too many rum punches (yummy!)...

Thursday, Mike and I took an all day excursion on a catamaran to Prickly Pear Island for the snorkeling, beach and lunch. Prickly Pear is a small sister island near Anguilla. The volcanic rock on the island lends itself to naming the island. Snorkeling is the best we've ever done with a large variety of fish especially of the Parrotfish variety. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the photo's I took turn out and posting them to our blog. The wonderful thing about snorkeling at Prickly Pear is that there is a very shallow natural reef close to the beach and protected within an outer reef area. The Prickly Pear reef is also a protected wildlife marine preserve.

Today, I did my final two dives at Maze Reef and Proselyte Reef. The Maze is true to its name and it was beautiful with great color as well as fish. I did see a trumpetfish that was camouflaged a blueish color which was really cool. We also did a swim through weaving through the reef. The Proselyte Reef was my favorite dive today. Shortly after getting in the water, some of our group saw a large shark swimming away but I missed the shark. Then, as we proceeded with our dive, we came across a baby sea turtle. I tried to get a picture but it pretty much turned and took a beeline away from us. Towards the end of the dive, we came across a second slightly larger sea turtle that cooperated wonderfully letting us swim along next to her. Hopefully, the pictures I took of the second sea turtle turn out with the cheap camera I used for this dive.

Tomorrow is our last full day :(... Mike and I are taking an all day trip to Saba Island which is no larger than 5 square miles with a 3,000 foot hike to the highest point of the island. Hopefully we will make it too the top!

God bless!

No comments: