Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

1 Corinthians 16: 13-14

13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

St. Maarten! Day 2 - Update & Scuba Diving

Well, we have been in St. Maarten for 2 full days.

After a long day of airports and airplanes, we arrived in St. Maarten on Sunday. The landing on St. Maarten is VERY interesting with a shorter runway and the pilot hitting the breaks immediately upon touch-down on the runway. A ladder was then pushed up to the plane and we disembarked. Customs was very easy and relatively quick considering another large plane had arrived just before us. The Pelican Resort is very nice and the room is plenty for Mike and I along with having a small kitchen.

On Monday, we took a bus tour of St. Maarten/St. Martin with a beach/lunch stop at Orient Beach located on the French side. The tour was very informative. We also had a chance to do some shopping in Marigot, the French St. Martin capital city.

Today was my (Pam) first day of diving. The dive shop I choose to go through is Ocean Explorer's which is just a short walk from the resort. Today we visited Purpose Wreck and Frenchman's Reef. At Purpose Wreck, I was surprised upon entry to basically go in the water surrounded by Jelly fish. Thankfully, I decided to wear my 3mm and did not have any unpleasant run-ins with the jelly fish. The wreck is an old tug boat that sank just off the coast of Simpson Bay where we are staying. There was a large variety of fish including shrimp hiding at the base of the tugboat and an octopus. Total depth reached was 87 feet. The 2nd dive at Frenchman's reef was very enjoyable with, again, a large number and variety of fish. I saw some HUGE barricuda for the very 1st time along with some very large lobsters. The Queen Parrotfish was one of my favorites.

I did not take an underwater camera with me today, but I will have a camera tomorrow!

No comments: