Jeremiah 29:11

11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

1 Corinthians 16: 13-14

13 Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. 14 Do everything in love.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Pain In The Neck!

Today was another exhausting day. This morning I had an appointment with an Endocrinologist that my Internist referred me to since he didn't feel comfortable prescribing Armour Thyroid in addition to the Levothyroxine. The appointment was with Dr. Julia Warren at Carolina Endocrine. I have to say that I was really impressed with Dr. Warren and instantly liked her. She was also very open to having me remain on the Armour Thyroid.

We discussed the Thyroid Cancer and her immediate response was to have a Total Thyroidectomy. After discussing the Thyroid Cancer with her in greater detail, we've decided that I should get a second opinion regarding the surgery with a Dr. Faust who is affiliated with Duke Medical. Dr. Warren isn't familiar with Dr. Catz and definitely felt I should see Dr. Faust for a second opinion also since he is a surgeon that specializes in Thyroid & Parathyroid surgery with a high success rate.

With today's appointment Dr. Warren also did another ultrasound to look at my thyroid specifically to measure the size of the nodule on the thyroid. Based on the size of the nodules, she said the size would possibly indicate Stage 1 to Stage 2 Thyroid Cancer. This was also an opportunity for her to look at the surrounding neck especially the Lymph Nodes. She did find one Lymph Node next to the right lobe of the Thyroid that looks to be enlarged and that she would recommend having removed.

Now... for the literal pain in the neck! She decided to do another biopsy. While doing the ultrasound she found a small mass that may be related to the thyroid so she decided to check it out to make sure it wasn't cancerous. If it is cancerous, it would also have to be removed which would mean the whole procedure would become a bit more complex since the small mass is on the lower left side of the neck near muscle.

I have to say that I'm really glad that my Internal Medicine Dr. sent me to Dr. Warren. We now pray that the small mass is not cancerous, that I can get in early next week for an appointment with Dr. Foust and that God would guide Mike and me with the decisions we need to make over the next few weeks.

Pam

1 comment:

Shop until you Blog said...

Sorry to hear about the C. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Alyssa and I will keep you gusy in our thoughts and prayers.